3401 Elymus L.
- L., Sp. Pl.: 83 (1753).
- Roegneria K. Koch, Linnaea 21: 413 (1848).
- Agropyron auct., non Gaertn., Novi Comment. Acad. Sci. Imp. Petrop. 14: 547 (1770).
- Excluded: Elymus trachycaulus subsp. andinus.
Notes: See also Elytrigia and Pseudoroegneria.
Elven and Murray: In the notoriously difficult genus Elymus, species delimitation and names have been in a flux for a long time and still are. Three recent approaches are Tzvelev's PAF proposal (based on many previous treatments, especially Tzvelev 1976), Campbell and Soreng in Soreng et al. (2003, CNWG), and Barkworth et al. (2007). These treatments differ appreciably for the plants included in all of them. No consensus account is yet possible. A treatment based on Tzvelev's proposal would be incompatible with recent North American views. A survey based on the recent North American treatments would not do justice to the taxa restricted to Russia.
We are uncomfortable with some of the solutions proposed by Tzvelev, especially his views on E. kronokensis s. lat., E. macrourus s. lat., E. sajanensis s. lat., and E. violaceus s. lat. The diagnostic differences reported by Tzvelev (1964e, 1976) are sometimes few and technical and result in taxa without a consistent geographical pattern. We have not been able to evaluate Tzvelev's proposals as we have had little or no material of the Russian taxa available for study. We are also uncomfortable with parts of the treatment of Barkworth et al. (2007), especially its very collective views of E. trachycaulus and E. alaskanus. We have based the survey below mainly on Campbell and Soreng in Soreng et al. (2003) but we have accepted (as species) nearly all the species reported from Eurasia only. In a Panarctic Flora phase, results from the research groups working on evolution in Hordeae should be incorporated.
- Poaceae [34,family]
Lower Taxa (Show all)
- Elymus mutabilis
- Elymus trachycaulus
- Elymus trachycaulus subsp. trachycaulus
- Elymus trachycaulus subsp. novae-angliae
- Elymus trachycaulus subsp. subsecundus
- Elymus trachycaulus subsp. virescens
- Elymus violaceus
- Elymus alaskanus
- Elymus alaskanus subsp. alaskanus
- Elymus alaskanus subsp. borealis
- Elymus alaskanus subsp. hyperarcticus
- Elymus alaskanus subsp. villosus
- Elymus alaskanus subsp. caeruleus
- Elymus macrourus
- Elymus macrourus subsp. macrourus
- Elymus macrourus subsp. neplianus
- Elymus macrourus subsp. turuchanensis
- Elymus macrourus taxon sericeus
- Elymus jacutensis
- Elymus fibrosus
- Elymus caninus
- Elymus confusus